Why Passion Matters

Two years ago I was floundering. I’d quit my job to stay home with my children- not because I’d always dreamed of being THAT mom, but because given our circumstances it was just what needed to happen.

I threw myself into the world of sorting laundry piles and volunteering at the elementary school, my baby strapped to my chest. I shopped for seasonal table mats and put raisin eyes on their peanut butter sandwiches.

From the outside it probably looked like a scene from a 1950′s era movie.

Except when the camera stopped running the children would fight, the dog would eat the pot roast and the mother would light a cigarette and fix herself her third martini of the day.

That wasn’t my story exactly, but close enough.

I wasn’t unhappy being with my children all day. I wasn’t unhappy at home. I didn’t rush out the door at 6:30 when my husband walked through it or complain about my lot in life.

It’s just that my life lacked passion. Energy. A spark.

Is passion the missing ingredient in your life too?

Recently I’ve begun the process of turning an idea into a much larger project- a book. I’ve been focusing on the nuts and bolts, the proposal outline. I’ve sent emails and read sample proposals and learned about target audiences and platforms and queries. But I was missing the point by not focusing first on why I’m passionate about my idea.

In The 11 Secrets of Getting Published, Mary De Muth said it simply: I’m absolutely convinced that passion is what sells a book to an agent or publisher.

Sure, writing is important. So is being able to promote yourself. But if others cannot sense your passion it’s likely that it will not be a successful venture.

If I think back to those baby-hazed days, I realize now that I missed so much. I didn’t see it then, but if I would have given myself permission to exercise my passion for writing then, I know I would have enjoyed that season so much more.

Make room for passion in your life. Think about what it is that makes you feel like yourself. Do you see it?

That’s the energy you need to harness. That’s the magic pebble to keep in your pocket.

When you’re finally ready, you can take it out and watch it glow.

I’m sharing 31 MOMents in 31 days.Each Wednesday I’m encouraging you to link up your own MOMent on My 3 Little Birds. For the month of October I’ll do a giveaway for each of my favorite MOMents.

Comments

1. Amber says:

ML, I am so proud of and excited for you!

2. Leslie says:

Thanks. I needed that. :-)

3. Love it! Can’t wait to read your book. Following your passion infuses your whole live with joy :)
    Dwija {House Unseen} recently posted..Weeeeee-HAW!My Profile

4. January says:

YES!!! Spot on. I felt for the longest time that I was ‘missing’ something. Turns out I was…it just took a while to find it.
    January recently posted..A Small Window to our WorldMy Profile

5. Yay!! I’m so glad you found your “magic pebble”! And I’m so proud of you following your dreams. :)
    Runnermom-jen recently posted..I Have…My Profile

6. Can’t wait to read your book!

7. Rachael says:

That’s so exciting!

It is so easy to get caught up in all the mundane and forget yourself. So hard to find the right balance.
    Rachael recently posted..Killing Tiny PlantsMy Profile

8. Stacy says:

This is where I am in my life as well. I have found something I care about deeply and I want to shout it to the world. I have fear along side it, as social change has energy I can’t always battle. Thin skin, you know. A two cups of ice cream kind of day, you know.
    Stacy recently posted..3/50 Bike DateMy Profile

9. angela says:

This made me cry. I have felt torn lately, like I am letting down my kids by exercising this desire to write. You have no idea how very much this means to me to read it today. Thank you.

10. Galit Breen says:

I love this, girl. So, so very much! xo
    Galit Breen recently posted..22 Things I Have DoneMy Profile

11. Perfection. Yes, stay true to your passion. I am on that road as well, and it takes a lot of energy to stay focused on my goal and avoid veering off into the world of how do I get the agent type thinking…

We will get there.

12. I love it. I live it!

Good for you! That’s so exciting.
    Robin @ Farewell, Stranger recently posted..10 Signs It’s Been Too Long Since Your Last RunMy Profile

13. Kara says:

I’ve found passion in the little things again. I just want to eat up all of the little moments with the kids and make pretty little things. Small in the grand scheme thing of things, but life-changing for sure.
    Kara recently posted..random tidbits {4}My Profile

14. Katie says:

SO, SO true!! And it’s hard to remember that sometimes. Great post, ML. Keep chasing that passion and living the dream. You’re going to publish that book, and I”m going to be the first in line to read it.
    Katie recently posted..Standing Still: a Reflection on SuccessMy Profile