That Not So Fresh Feeling

Image Source

Have you all met KiKi, Twist, Marina and Shout, AKA The Fresh Beat Band? AKA the most cloying and irritating foursome to ever appear on the small screen (I say that because they have not yet appeared on the big screen).

The Fresh Beats and I go way back to the spring of 2009, when I was in full-on end of my third trimester misery. I was hot. My feet looked like Shreck’s. I was still working as a counselor and then coming home to two boys, ages one and five. My husband worked an hour and a half away. In the evenings we would all retreat to my bedroom where we’d have “family time” and watch Nick Jr, because propping my feet up and praying for my water to break, damn it, was about all I could do.

Unfortunately this was around the same time that Nick Jr started heavily promoting a new show called The Jumparounds with a horrible, God-awful “music video.” It was on constantly. You couldn’t throw a Lego at Max & Ruby without hitting Kiki, Twist, Marina, or Shout.

Have you heard that Eskimos have a hundred words for snow? That summer I had a hundred words for I HATE THE JUMPAROUNDS. And they were mostly curse words. It was not a pretty time.

Soon after my daughter was born there was a break in the Jumparounds commercials. Had my prayers been answered? Was this show cancelled before it ever started? That had to be it. I mean, the commercial was seriously, pathologically, clinically bad.

And then, in July 2009, THIS happened. The Jumparounds were back. Only now they had a new name: The Fresh Beat Band.I should have known better than to assume that just because it was irritating, the show wouldn’t be a success. After all, the more annoying kids’ programming is, the more likely it is to be successful. Just look at Barney.

Anyway, I suspect that my miserable late-in-pregnancy state contributed to my irritation with the Fresh Beats. But it’s like ¬†that phenomenon that occurs when you throw up and can’t ever eat the food that made you sick again. What’s that called? Acute Fresh Beat Vomitosis?

Luckily my kids don’t think they’re all that fresh, either.

Will you grab a News from Your Nest button and play along by posting about the kids’ tv show that annoys you?

Comments

1. I love the new look of your blog with the news button.

Darn Freshbeats…their songs may forever be stuck in my head.

• ML@My3LittleBirds says:

Thanks Jen! I am still getting used to it. I wouldn’t mind the FBB’s songs if they would JUST PLEASE STOP DANCING.

2. jill says:

Taste aversion. As in, “I cannot drink Chardonnay. I have a severe taste aversion due to an unfortunate series of decisions involving a magnum of cheap Chardonnay and a bottle of tequila.”

My sister-in-law feels this way about The Wiggles. She can’t stand them. They creep her out. As a result, there is no watching of The Wiggles in her house.

3. Bernie says:

This is why I’m glad I don’t have kids. When I was nanny I used to hate Barney with a purple passion. However, its been so many years I don’t have a post in me about the horror that was Barney.

• ML@My3LittleBirds says:

You know, Barney is super annoying FO SHO. But I think about all the kids in horrible situations who at least hear a message of love from him. So many cartoons focus on learning and following directions but Barney focuses more on imagination and emotions. Kind of like a new Mr. Rogers. And I love Mr. Rogers. Geez, can you tell I have a social work background?

4. Mary Kate says:

OK, I posted! And, much like a very bad car wreck, I have a hankering to watch another episode of The Fresh Beat Band…. ;)

• ML@My3LittleBirds says:

Awesome Mary Kate! Now just link up your post by clicking (next to the little blue frog’s face at the bottom of my post) on “click to view/add link” and you’ll be the first on the list!

5. They are my nemesis, those irritating Smile-talkers!

6. Nina says:

Ahhh, the joys of NOT having cable. Or TV. Seriously, we don’t get any reception. None. So Mama gets to pick out what we watch from Netflix!

• ML@My3LittleBirds says:

Keep it that way Nina! The only problem with Netflix is that once my kids fall in love with a show, they know it’s always available. You can’t just say, “Nope, it’s not on today!”

7. Rachael says:

I have to admit I have a bit of a soft spot for The Fresh Beat Band. Partly because my son really loves them. Mostly because I really want to decorate my house like their . . . place of residence. (Dorm? Does it remind anyone else of the dorm in Saved By the Bell the College Years? Only in that the boys are on one side and girls on the other sharing a common area. Did anyone other than me ever actually watch Saved By the Bell the College Years?) Plus it’s always fun to watch adults pretending to be high schoolers that act like 5 year olds. (Which I believe was also my reason for watching Saved By the Bell . . .) ;)

• ML@My3LittleBirds says:

I was all about Saved By the Bell but I never watched the College Years. So yes, you must have been the only one : )

8. Kara says:

I wish I could play along, but my littles are still so obsessed with Backyardigans and Wizard of Oz, that I don’t see anything else. I’m thanking my lucky stars for now. I’m sure it won’t be long before I’m introduced to the evil likes of the Fresh Beat Band.

• ML@My3LittleBirds says:

Kara, if I had but one wish for you it would be that your kids’ tv interests never branch out further than Backyardigans and Wizard of Oz.

9. Katie says:

I thankfully haven’t had the “pleasure” of knowing the Fresh Beat Band. My nephew, however, LOVES Bah-ney. LOVES him. I just don’t get it. That obnoxious chuckle, the overly-joyful voice. Everything about the guy/dinosaur gets on my last nerve. Now Yo Gabba Gabba is a show I can get behind. My husband and I watch it long after we’ve put Garrett down for his nap.

10. Jackie says:

I am a FBB convert. Having formerly dispised the show, I know enjoy watching it with my girls. Yes, the songs are super sweet and corny, but I will take Fresh Beats over Barney any day of the week!!! If you’re really interested we just saw them “Live” at Sesame Place with new Marina and I have pics on my blog.

11. Becky says:

Imagination Movers SUCKS. Word World ROCKS. IM makes me shudder. Yuck.

12. I know the feeling. I’m sitting at 6 weeks pregnant right now, wondering what item I will throw out of my life due to the association of morning sickness with it. :)

Great post, just found you through FTLOB.

Carrigan’s Joy

13. I’m glad this show was avoided in my house. If my kids watched it, I would of canceled our cable!

I’m a new follower through the Crazed Fan Weekend Hop, nice to meet you!

Nikki @ Raising Marshmallows

14. Mine are too old to be affected by this ‘delightful’ group…whew!! I am following from the weekend hop, hope you will visit: http://childhoodmyths.net/blog

15. Sarah E. says:

I cannot help but laugh. I used to DESPISE the FBB.

And now I love them. I watch with the kids…I talk them into watching certain episodes. *sigh*

I was also this way with Imagination Movers and Backyardigans! Hated them and now I love them! LOL